ACCOUNTANT (Contract-Direct Hire)
Under general direction, performs a wide variety of complex accounting functions.
Operates a variety of Office equipment, including personal computer, calculator, typewriter, printers, telephone, copier and FAX machine. Job duties performed in a seated position for extended periods of time. Normal office environment where there is no physical discomfort or exposure to hazards.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Prepares monthly journal entries for posting to general ledger.
- Reconciles monthly bank statements to the City's general ledger.
- Reviews and reconciles account balances where necessary.
- Prepares and maintains various subsidiary schedules and reports for a variety of Fund activities, such as airport, golf courses, water operations, etc.
- Administers accounting for the City's fixed assets and maintenance of the fixed asset database.
- Prepares schedules related to various City revenues and expenditures.
- Coordinates and reviews transactions received from subsidiary accounting systems such as accounts payable, payroll, water billing, cashiering, etc. to verify accuracy.
- Prepares monthly reimbursement billings for local, state and federally funded programs; maintains schedules of expenditures and receipts. Maintains information in state and federal databases required for reporting purposes.
- Maintains unclaimed property records, remits unclaimed property to the State of Illinois and files related reports as necessary.
- Maintains the City’s cash and investment records and reconciles transactions to the general ledger. Prepares cash management reports as needed.
- Assists in the preparation of the City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and assists auditors as needed.
- Maintains schedules and assists in the maintenance of various Federal and State grant programs. Prepares required reports and assists in the conduct of any required special purpose auditing procedures.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned as related to the position.
Required Knowledge and Abilities
Requires ability to make mathematical computations quickly and accurately, and to prepare reports clearly and concisely.
Requires knowledge of accounting principles and procedures in order to maintain general ledgers and journals and prepare related financial statements and special purpose reports.
Requires the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Requires analytical skills in order to collect, analyze, and prepare a variety of financial statements and reports.
Requires ability to sit or stay in one place for extended periods when performing duties, including the operation of a variety of office equipment requiring continuous and repetitive hand and arm movements.
Requires in-depth understanding of municipal government policies, practices and procedures.
Requires the ability to train clerical staff in accounting procedures and in the operation of various equipment and operating systems.
Requires the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including City officials, employees and the general public.
Qualifications for Hire
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, or other Baccalaureate degree in a finance-related field, including a minimum of 21 semester credit hours in accounting.
Requires a working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
Requires general familiarity with automated financial management systems, spreadsheets and word processing software.
- 1 -