Data Engineer (Contract)
Job Requisition: 7077
Description for Data Engineer:
Under the general supervision of the Director of Data and Analytics, the Data Engineer architects, builds, and manages databases, data pipelines, and data warehouses and implements methods to improve data reliability and quality. Prepares and transforms data using pipelines and extracts data from various data source systems, transforming data into the staging area, and loading it into data warehouse systems. The Data Engineer is responsible for every step of data flow, from configuring data sources to managing analytical tools. Combines raw information from different sources to create consistent and machine-readable formats, develops and test architectures that enable data extraction and transformation for predictive or prescriptive modeling. The Data Engineer will assist with the creation and maintenance of data visualizations, dashboards, and reports. The Data Engineer will also serve as the application developer for the development, support and maintenance of custom-built in-house applications and scripts. The Data Engineer will work with APIs to develop interfaces between systems to extract or deliver data from/to various systems.Responsibilities for Data Engineer:
- Develops, prepares, and maintains data and datasets.
- Creates and maintains optimal data pipeline architectures.
- Builds the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and Azure technologies.
- Works to improve and enhance data quality, reliability, and efficiency.
- Optimizes data delivery and re-designs infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Combines, organizes, and analyzes raw data from different sources.
- Assists with initial data explorations steps, such as binning, pivoting, summarizing, and finding correlations.
- Catalogues and documents existing data sources and data ETL processes.
- Performs data preparation and data access tasks enabling access to resident and external data sources.
- Helps streamline better data supply chains for analytics that go from experimentation into production.
- Establishes and enforces guidelines for data collection, integration, and processes.
- Collaborates enterprise-wide with corresponding stakeholders.
- Performs database administration tasks such as performance tuning, security administration or capacity planning for data warehouses and data lakes.
- Assists with Data Visualizations and Dashboard Development utilizing standard Business Intelligence Tools.
- Evaluates business needs and objectives.
- Identifies opportunities for data acquisition.
- Collaborates with other City departments to locate and extract data from source systems.
- Collaborates with third party data providers/recipients.
- Collaborates with other City Business Unit data stewards, data scientists and IT team members.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and supports data infrastructure needs.
- Conducts complex data analysis to interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques and provides ongoing reports and visualizations.
- Works with data APIs to develop interfaces between systems in order to extract or deliver data from/to various systems.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Requirements for Data Engineer:
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organization’s core business process and operations.
- Requires experience in development of business/functional and technical requirements
- Analysis, elicitation, modeling, verification, and methodology.
- Requires ability to create systematic and consistent requirement specifications in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Requires exceptional analytical and statistical skills with the ability to apply them to issues and products as required.
- Requires ability to develop analytical tools and programs.
- Requires ability to understand the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Requires ability to learn municipal structures, functions, and public administration.
- Requires ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Requires general knowledge of computer hardware and office productivity software.
- Requires the ability to generate clear, concise reports and maintain accurate records.
- Requires availability for after hours and weekend on-call support.
- Requires experience utilizing Extract Transform & Load (ETL) tools such as Microsoft Data Factory.
- Requires ability to document processes and data accurately and clearly.
- Requires an understanding of data analysis and presentation through the use of data visualization tools such as PowerBI, Tableau, Cognos, etc.
- Requires numerical and analytical skills.
- Requires ability to frequently sit.
- Requires ability to walk, stand or sit for an hour or more at a time.
- Requires ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in the field of Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Data Science, Data Management, or similar field or equivalent work experience.
- Requires experience overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software.
- Requires experience as a data engineer or similar role.
- Requires a solid background in SQL, information architecture, and ETL procedures, scripting languages (Python or R), database administration, reporting, and dash boarding.
- Requires technical expertise with data models, data mining, and segmentation techniques.
- Requires working understanding of software design and programming features.
- Requires ability to program in at least one programming language, such as Python, C#, Java, etc. for statistical modeling and analysis, data warehousing solutions, and building data pipelines.
- Requires hands-on experience with SQL database design and maintenance.
- Microsoft or IBM Certified Data Engineer certification preferred.
- Working knowledge of application development preferred.