Design Engineer (Direct Hire)
Job Requisition: 6984
Description for Design Engineer:
The Design Engineer participates in all engineering-related activities tied to the design and manufacture of valve products/replacement valve components for use in Nuclear Power Plants. This position is primarily responsible for the creation, review, and approval of all engineering documentation (Order review and processing, Bill of Materials, Detailed Drawings for both Assemblies and parts, and design calculations, etc.) required to manufacture a product from order receipt through release to production. This role must ensure that these design documents conform to the applicable design code requirements such as ASME Section III Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code or ANSI B16.34 Valve Standard, etc.
Responsibilities for Design Engineer:
- Review customer purchase orders, customer specifications, design codes as established by industry, and determine technical requirements and exceptions to resolve technical issues.
- Prepares thorough, accurate, and concise, production documents for release to the manufacturer. Production documents must be in conformance with required codes and specifications, customer purchase order requirements, company procedures and QA requirements.
- Develop drawings/models or work with CAD personnel; perform design modification including material substitutions on valves and valve parts in accordance with customer requirements and established industry codes and standards.
- Work with manufacturing specialists in the selection of the most efficient and cost effective materials available for use and generate BOM’s (product structures) and other job related documentation.
- Evaluate, establish and document technical bases to support designs and design changes.
- Provide engineering support for the manufacture of valve and valve parts.
- Coordinate design efforts by reviewing of design documents.
- Generate BOM's (product structures) and other job-related documentation.
- Review and disposition deficiencies.
- Support shop personnel during manufacturing process.
- Prepare detailed specifications, IOMs and other miscellaneous engineering documents.
- Perform extensive engineering calculations, generate engineering reports.
- Develop testing parameters and acceptance criteria.
- Support in-depth root cause evaluations.
- Develop an understanding of customer needs/issues and convey to Engineering.
- Participate in kaizen events.
- Drive continuous improvement of all engineering processes through the implementation and practice of 5S/ Lean Sigma methodologies. Help develop team knowledge on engineering best practices
- Provide engineering support as defined by the Manager of Engineering.
Requirements for Design Engineer:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering (MSME desired) or equivalent plus minimum five years working as an engineer or equivalent.
- Solid understanding of mechanical engineering fundamentals.
- Experience with generating CAD drawings/models.
- Solidworks and Draftsight experience required.
- Experience with FEA Software Analysis a plus.
- Experience with pressure vessels. Experience with gate, globe, check, butterfly, and plug valve designs, air and motor actuated valves a plus.
- Stress analysis including static equivalent seismic analysis is desired.
- In-depth understanding of materials especially steels, machining process and mechanical assembly.
- Knowledge of ASME B&PV Code required. Demonstrated Knowledge of Section III of the ASME Code as it applies to valve design. Current participation in Code activities a plus.
- Use of broad range of engineering principles and personal experience to develop unique solutions to complex engineering problems.
- Broad understanding of engineering fundamentals including: Machining and casting processes including tolerances, material substitutions/reconciliations, bills of material and item masters, and mechanical fit-up
- Proficient in performing engineering calculations in analysis tools such as MathCAD and Excel.
- Must be able to present all work and directions clearly in both written and verbal form.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office software.
- Experience with web-based project management tools and scheduling.
- High sense of urgency and a pro-active approach to problem solving.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and timelines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- PE license or desire to obtain is a plus.
*Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.