Description for Director of Technical Services:
The Director of Technical Services will serve as an executive member of the management team responsible for the Technical Service Department for a major automation firm and will include the development and successful implementation of the company’s strategic service efforts. Critical components of this role will be to manage and direct the Technical Service Departments, both Inside and Field Service Technicians
Responsibilities for Director of Technical Services:
- Responsible for supporting all after-sales technical support and driving towards 100% customer satisfaction.
- Directs Inside and Field Service Technicians by providing leadership, direct supervision, training, employee evaluations, compensation, and career development.
- Provides leadership for performing root cause analysis and structured troubleshooting. Actively participates in escalated, advanced troubleshooting when required.
- Manages the field service scheduling process with production dates and the customer’s schedules to ensure maximum revenue, customer satisfaction and technician workload.
- Ensures the necessary resources (people and equipment) are available to perform the required functions including 24/7 support.
- Available to assist in after-hours emergencies as they occur.
- Coordinates pricing and approval of Field Service Work.
- Supports the preparation and promotion of non-standard or custom Service Contracts.
- Works with customers to resolve all service-related discrepancies and invoicing issues. Resolves discrepancies, as necessary, including resolution of service issues and invoices.
- Maintains a working knowledge of competitors and market trends as it pertains to service expectations.
- Participates and represents Tech Service in work teams and meetings related to projects, production, sales, marketing, and new technologies.
- Maintains working knowledge of safety and regulatory compliance requirements and participates in work teams and meetings related to safety and compliance.
- Supports and/or facilitates facility tours and/or audits.
- Responsible for budgeting, cost control, forecasting and assisting with development of annual operating plan.
- Responsible for achieving targeted service metrics, revenue, and profitability.
Requirements for Director of Technical Services:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, controls, software, or computer engineering; Master’s in engineering, engineering management or MBA preferred
- Minimum of 3-7 of leadership experience with direct reports in technical service, in an automation/control, or engineering service business.
- Experience working for an automation integrator with control system design, or PLC ladder logic programming, and HMI creation
- Strong working knowledge of Allen Bradley PLCs (SLC, CompactLogix, and ControlLogix), and Wonderware HMI.
- Seven or more years’ experience in technical support, field service, or software support
- Experience and skill in understanding customer process flow, automation, and process control
- Strong understanding of Root-Cause Analysis (RCA) and 8D problem solving methods
- Broad understanding of electrical design, design validation, and software testing under simulation
- Strong project management skill set
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to be client facing
- Ability to work effectively in small team environment with both onsite and remote team members
- Ability to travel up to 15%
Desired Skills for Director of Technical Services:
- Previous experience with PLC programming
- Experience computer hardware and software applications (VB, C# & SQL knowledge)
- Understanding of industrial networking
- Experience working with large batch processing manufacturers
- Exposure to USDA and FDA regulations
*Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening