Electrical Engineer (Contract to Hire)
Job Requisition: 6921
Description for Electrical Engineer:
This Sr. Electrical Engineer is responsible for creating, designing, testing, supporting, and developing new and innovative electronic motor and control systems for existing and new products. Scope of role spans motors, controls, hardware, and software. This is successfully accomplished by understanding, accurately specifying, and adhering to customer requirements, utilizing, and applying quality tools and methods and pursuing continuous improvement in all aspects of product and process design. These efforts will have a direct impact on increasing the average sales price per unit and improving value, reliability, and performance. Product responsibilities include branded products, private label brands, and all support componentry. The associate will plan and manage product design engineering activities related to conceptualization, product design, testing / validation, and manufacturing process functions. In addition to production designs, this position also helps support the Engineered-To-Order (ETO) approach to meet unique customer and application needs. ETO support will involve direct engagement with sales, customer service, end customers, manufacturing, and suppliers. This position reports to the Product Development Manager. This position helps to design and manage the electronic hardware and software used in the Engineering Test lab.
Responsibilities of the Electrical Engineer:
- Ability to showcase program management skills, scheduling making commitments from a development timeline and support efforts needed for various projects.
- Being able to work in a fast paced, creative, and innovative environment. There is a lot of automation in this group.
- Coordinates and prioritizes design and product engineering activities as established by product requirements provided by product management and in accordance with SWF business strategies and goals.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Engineering and Channel Marketing teams to introduce and develop new product concepts and existing product enhancements.
- Creates and maintains systems architecture for blinds, and how the blinds interact with end user controls and home / building systems. This includes the motors, controls, connected and IoT solutions, product interfaces, and systems interfaces as well as any languages or communications protocols used.
- Ensures designs comply with all relevant codes (electrical wiring, etc.) and standards (FCC, UL)
- Designs products and components with safety, quality, durability, reliability, value, and assembly as priorities.
- Estimates project and product costs, assists with project justification, and recommends required materials and tooling.
- Facilitates design reviews to discuss concepts and proposed product designs, engaging other functional areas of the business, to gain input regarding product manufacturability and quality and incorporating those inputs into final design.
- Participates on project teams for new products, product enhancements, and NPS teams using the 4D stage gate process and teaming principles.
- Interface with purchasing and suppliers to investigate, resolve, and assure compliance to specifications for supplier quality issues.
- Represent the company in industrial organizations.
- Maintain and organize lab area following 5S principles.
- Engaged in continuous improvement initiatives, recognizing process improvement methods to identify root cause, develop solutions, and implement solutions.
- Quality-Integrates quality at the source thinking and activities in daily, individual, team and project work. (Applies to all job duties 100%)
- Lead role on motorization of all product lines: motors, controls, software, user controls, systems interfaces
- Maintains knowledge base on motorization / electronics trends in relevant customer channels: commercial / contract, builder, home automation, etc.
- Collaborates on strategic application development and integration of connected partnerships and voice control systems such as Alexa and Google Home.
Requirements for Electrical Engineer:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with a minimum of 3-7 years of applicable work experience with a focus on New Product Development and understanding of manufacturing operations.
- Altium experience (electronic system design)– or equivalent. Understanding of layout schematic package.
- Capability of managing both firmware and hardware. Understanding software, and interface between product and cloud.
- Ability to program management skills scheduling making commitments from a development timeline and support standpoint and what efforts and needs are for various projects.
- Familiarity with the design of motors, controls, user interfaces and software.
- Project management skills scheduling; making commitments from a development timeline and support standpoint. Support efforts and needs for various projects.
- Experience with systems design: motors, controls, user interfaces, systems interfaces.
- Experience with wired / wireless communications protocols: RS232, RS485, Z-wave, Zigbee, BTLE, WiFi
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering