Description for Engineering Manager:
The Engineering Manager will manage a team of Project Design Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers. Oversight and management responsibilities including managing engineers and supporting all stages of cable/wire harnesses and design engineering, from concept and specification creation to product realization. The Engineering Manager will deliver innovative and cost-effective solutions into the manufacturing process and to our customers; and has responsibility for both people management (development, coaching) and project leadership for those projects in his/her domain.
Responsibilities for Engineering Manager:
- Review work instructions, process maps, material specifications, customer drawings, and project flows
- Review and approve Engineering Change Notices.
- Design, troubleshoot, analyze design problems, and deploy new tooling for manufacturing
- Support manufacturing floor for production and prototype assemblies.
- Review production equipment, tools/fixtures and assembly lines to ensure proper and safe operation and minimize and/or eliminate down time.
- Prepare and tool-proof manufacturing assembly instruction & routing documentation.
- Work on continuous improvement/special projects to improve efficiency for building of cable assemblies
- Assist in development of specifications, test plans, etc. related to product development activities
- Tracks and reports on engineering targets (BOM cost, quality, customer and/or internal plant delivery timing, performance, project and department engineering budget, etc.) for all assigned projects.
- Provides technical leadership in directing the efforts of cross functional engineering team in the development and release of all relevant engineering deliverables in compliance with the product development process and/or customer expectations.
- Ensures compliance to Company procedures (e.g. Process - Work Instructions) and applicable standards (e.g.).
- Resource planning and alignment to ensure that all projects in the department are properly staffed with the right quality and quantity of resource to meet the deliverables in an effective and efficient way is a key objective of this position.
- Modifying design of existing plant layout based on internal/external customer requirements.
- Maintaining a thorough knowledge of product design techniques and all CAD software systems, maintaining drawings and nesting databases.
- Initiating and driving justification for upgrades to processing, equipment, to enhance performance of system and value to the customer.
- Provide technical expertise to customers and process design to other departments.
- Understanding of the concepts of synchronous manufacturing and lean production manufacturing methodologies and the ability to formulate and implement a tactical plan.
- Participates in Continuous Improvement and assists in its implementation on an ongoing basis implementing lean manufacturing principles to improve plant productivity.
- Assists in the commissioning of lines equipment, and other systems to ensure that the introduction into the production facility is handled efficiently and with minimum disruptions.
- Monitor machine/employee ergonomic improvements & safety requirements.
- Follows safe work procedures; Uses appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); Uses workplace tools and equipment as instructed; Reports workplace hazards, injuries and illness as soon as possible following event.
- Comply with duties and responsibilities as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act and ensures corrective action is taken when violations occur.
- Performs other duties as necessary for completion of projects and achievement of departmental goals
- Performs other duties as necessary in support of business objectives.
- Experience with electronic assembly desirable
- Familiarity with specifications and industry standards IPC-620, ISO9001, IATF.
- Develops process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA’s), control plans, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and supports problem solving initiatives by implementing corrective action.
Requirements for Engineering Manager:
- College Diploma or University Degree in the Electrical or Mechanical Engineering field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing an Engineering team.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with the latest CAD software modules: design and layout, ideally has experience working with Pro-Engineer, SolidWorks & AutoCAD.
- Design and Manufacturing experience with molded cable assemblies, wire harnesses, cable assemblies, and RF assembly.
- Must have broad project management experience
- Provide technical direction to produce, engineer and design teams throughout project stages.
- Strong background in managing and planning multiple projects and people simultaneously within given deadlines
- Be proficient in verbal and written communication in English.
- Interpret concept parts and assemblies from CAD designs. Hand drawings and sketches for prototype and production manufacturing methods.
- Be able to read and interpret customer drawings, specifications, wire schematics.
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, and Six Sigma concepts and techniques
- At least 25% travel is required.
- Hands-On, Roll-Up-Your-Sleeves leader