Job Requisition: 6371
Description for Engineering Manager:
The Engineering Manager leads the engineering team through various product development and production cycles. The Engineering Manager will deliver innovative and cost-effective solutions into the manufacturing process and to our customers; and has responsibility for both people management (development, coaching) and project leadership for those projects in his/her domain. This role is for a major North American Leader in the Fabrication/Manufacturing industry with operations across US and Canada.
Responsibilities for Engineering Manager:
- Tracks and reports on engineering targets (BOM cost, quality, customer and/or internal plant delivery timing, performance, project and department engineering budget, etc.) for all assigned projects.
- Ensures that programs are properly resourced (both quality and quantity) for success, whether through assignment of direct resources, or leverage of external resources as required.
- Provides team leadership, management support, including coaching and active engagement with direct and extended team.
- Provides technical leadership in directing the efforts of cross functional engineering team in the development and release of all relevant engineering deliverables in compliance with the product development process and/or customer expectations.
- Ensures engineering timing plans, defect / issues list, risk assessments, lessons learned are created and maintained and provides engineering status for project reviews (e.g. APQP milestones, etc.) according to program timing for all assigned projects.
- Ensures compliance to Company procedures (e.g. Process - Work Instructions) and applicable standards (e.g.).
- First Level of formal supervisory responsibility with both functional and disciplinary authority.
- Resource planning and alignment to ensure that all projects in the department are properly staffed with the right quality and quantity of resource to meet the deliverables in an effective and efficient way is a key objective of this position.
- Develops process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA’s), control plans, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and supports problem solving initiatives by implementing corrective action.
- Complies with the requirements of Quality Operating System (QOS).
- Modifying design of existing plant layout based on internal/external customer requirements.
- Maintaining a thorough knowledge of product design techniques and all CAD software systems, maintaining drawings and nesting databases.
- Initiating and driving justification for upgrades to processing, equipment and WIP, to enhance performance of system and value to the customer.
- Provide expertise in industrial engineering and process design to other departments.
- Understanding of the concepts of synchronous manufacturing and lean production manufacturing methodologies and the ability to formulate and implement a tactical plan.
- Participates in Continuous Improvement and assists in its implementation on an ongoing basis implementing lean manufacturing principles to improve plant productivity.
- Assists in the commissioning of new plants/ lines equipment, and other systems to ensure that the introduction into the production facility is handled efficiently and with minimum disruptions.
- Monitor machine/employee ergonomic improvements & safety requirements.
- Follows safe work procedures; Uses appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); Uses workplace tools and equipment as instructed; Reports workplace hazards, injuries and illness as soon as possible following event.
- Comply with duties and responsibilities as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act and ensures corrective action is taken when violations occur.
- Performs other duties as necessary for completion of projects and achievement of departmental goals Performs other duties as necessary in support of business objectives.
- Ensures that facilities are in full compliance with all safety regulations.
- Follows and comply with all Operational Procedures and policies as outlined
Requirements for Engineering Manager:
- BS degree or higher in the Mechanical Engineering field
- Minimum 5 years related experience in the automotive or fabrication field with a proven track record of exemplary performance
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with the latest CAD software modules: design and layout, ideally has experience working with Pro-Engineer, Solidworks & Auto CAD
- In depth knowledge of process improvement tools, product design techniques, mechanical drawing standards and GD&T
- Prior experience with metal cutting, forming, welding (manual and robotic) and machining
- Knowledge of Lean techniques
- Ability to travel if required
- Hands-On, Roll-Up-Your-Sleeves personality
- Bias for action – reacts promptly to issues with appropriate actions/responses
- Ability to thrive in a “Lean and Mean” resource conscious organization
- Capable of managing multiple challenging assignments concurrently; moving swiftly and
- decisively, but collaboratively and effectively with others
- Effective problem solver
- • Perceptive, responsible and accountable
- Team player