Materials Manager (Direct Hire)
Job Requisition: 6407
Description for Materials Manager:
The Materials Manager role is a facility specific role and is the lead for the department to successfully meet the facility goals and objectives and manages all Materials functions within the plant. Ensures compliance to all regulations. Provides information to other leaders as necessary.
Responsibilities for Materials Manager:
- Develop and execute the material management action plans required to achieve the department goals related to inventory turns, inventory levels, customer service levels and operating profit.
- Collects requirements from the production department and design specifications and budget for the raw material.
- Researching for best prices in the market and potential vendors who can supply the required amount of quality products on time.
- Negotiates with the vendors and places orders for the raw materials and makes sure that the placed orders are delivered on time.
- Supervises shipping of materials to ensure that there are no defective items in the materials.
- Supervises the inventory available and generates monthly inventory report to be presented to the higher officials.
- Identifies the reason for the extra consumption of the raw material by collecting information from the production department.
- Identifies the emergency requirements of the materials and arranges supplies for the same.
- Support and help implement the policies, procedures, systems and programs required to meet the department objectives and to ensure continuous improvement in all material management and supply planning areas.
- Supervise the material management team consisting of buyers, planners, master schedulers, forecasters, shipping and receiving functions and clerks.
- Select, develop, and evaluate personnel to ensure the effective operation of the material planning functions. This will include coaching and mentoring the materials team for optimal results and associate development.
- Participates and drives daily management meetings.
- Work in conjunction with cross-functional teams related to planning and purchasing initiatives and continuous improvement programs.
- Work collaboratively with manufacturing plant management to support improvement activity plans and visions.
- Develop root cause/countermeasures for customer service levels (backorders) and inventory reduction including the following through of target dates.
- Have strong knowledge of planning/pull systems and MRP concepts such as time fences, demand input, consumption rules and projected balance calculations.
- Have strong knowledge of lean manufacturing.
- Develop short and long-term units and dollar inventory projections at the raw, sub-assembly, WIP and finished goods levels.
- Evaluate the production plans, plant capacities and supplier capacities data and determine trends, resource requirements and constraints.
- Work closely with other department leaders (Manufacturing, Finance, Strategic Purchasing, Quality, Sales and Marketing, Regulatory, Process Engineering) to communicate and coordinate cross-functional efforts and improvement activities.
- Follows and comply with all Operational Procedures and policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook, Quality and Environment programs (i.e. IATF, ISO 14001)
Requirements for Materials Manager:
- Bachelor Degree required, Operations or Business Preferred
- Specialization in Logistics, Material Management or Supply Chain Management
- Minimum of five (5) years experience specializing in Logistics, Material Management or Supply Chain Management
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in a supervisory position related to materials planning, production control, purchasing, forecasting and/or master scheduling within a low volume/high mix manufacturing environment.
- Strong negotiation skills and knowledge of steel purchasing and processing.
- In depth knowledge and expertise regarding metal-cutting operations, grinding and tooling manufacturing.
- Skilled at researching the market, looking for potential suppliers and designing quotations for the purchase order.
- Skilled with the traditional as well as advanced methods used in inventory control.
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills.
- Strong ERP/MRP systems knowledge, prior experience with CMS an asset.
- Experience with lean concepts/tools such as VSM, Kanban, JIT and Kaizen
- Understanding of production flow principles and manufacturing processes
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively work with many levels and types of people
- Good written, oral and presentation skills
- Project Management skills
Desired for Materials Manager:
- APICS Certification
*Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.