New Product Development Engineer (Direct Hire)
Job Requisition: 6630
Description for NPD Engineer:
This position is inside in the Engineering group and will report directly to the New Product Development Manager. The primary objective will be to drive the customer-back innovation efforts in the Medical Division’s high-growth Infusion Segment. This position will be responsible for the product development process from beginning to end, from verifying the viability of the market and customers, understanding key customer pain points, and mobilizing engineering resources all the way through to product launch.
Responsibilities for NPD Engineer:
- Lead the development, modification, implementation and supporting of Infusion disposable components through adherence to established design control processes and good engineering practices. Lead others to solve technical problems using engineering and statistical techniques, utilize design of experiments (DOE). Interfaces with customers and suppliers on high-volume disposable medical component design and is constantly on the lookout for new, better ways to do things.
- Makes design changes to existing products, ensuring compatibility through appropriate testing. Provides engineering and technical support to production with respect to product specifications and requirements. Guides the successful completion of major programs or projects.
- Concept Design: Lead product development from concepts through various stages of prototyping to final design by applying sound and good engineering principles including product requirements, concept design and selection, prototyping, testing, etc.
- Design for manufacturability through close collaboration with Operations and Project Engineering Teams. Effectively perform design verification and transfer. Complete FMEA and Risk analysis as a part of the design control process.
- Customer: Work directly with customer R&D teams to identify and solve problems through innovative problem solving and product design to create sustainable differentiation. Understand customer requirements and translate those requirements into product designs, while using Design Control and ensuring value is delivered to customer and patient.
- Business Acumen: Translate customer needs and pain points into a value proposition that can be supported with a strong business case
- Team Work: Serve as a lead technical role on the project team. The incumbent will work closely with fellow Engineers, Customers, Sales and Manufacturing regarding New Product Development.
- Apply company Toolbox and 80-20 to effectively drive results in a fast-paced, collaborative, low-ego work environment
Requirements for NPD Engineer:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Plastics, Biomedical) required
- A minimum of 2+ years related work experience required
- Previous experience with product design in Plastic Injection molding in a high-volume manufacturing environment required.
- Injection mold tooling design experience preferred
- Fluency in 3D CAD (Solidworks preferred)
- Working understanding of part design layout and GD&T
- Understanding of DFMEA & PFMEA methodology and approach
- Uses advanced analysis tools and methods to solve complex technical problems (e.g. 3-D Modeling and Design, Computational Fluid Dynamics, and Finite Element Analysis).
- Mold-flow analysis experience is a plus
- Ability to independently test, analyze and solves technical problems
- Experience with medical device manufacturing strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in Infusion Disposables a plus
- Must exhibit excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented
- Ability to work independently and with cross-functional teams
- Effective oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Self-directed with creative problem-solving ability
- Ability to train and coach others from technical expertise