Admin Aide- Payroll team
Job Requisition: 6556
Under general direction of the Payroll Supervisor and other management personnel, performs administrative duties related to the payroll process; conducts research, assists with special projects, serves as a liaison between the Payroll Supervisor or his designee and the various city departments.
Performs duties in an office setting. Operates a variety of office equipment including computers.
Essential Functions of the Job
1. Strong analytical and statistical skills necessary to prepare accurate and timely bi-weekly payrolls, monthly pension payrolls and other reporting activities.
- Verifying department’s hour’s entry for accuracy based on various contracts.
- Calculating and entering additional changes including but not limited to special retro’s/
- Additional pay, final pay, wage garnishments, Workman’s comp etc.
- Balancing of all add-pays, deductions, hours, benefits, taxes.
- Accounts payable checks –balancing, printing and distributing.
- Verifying and entry of all personnel changes for employees; new hires, transfers,
promotions, termination’s. This also includes any changes made for employee increases, personal deductions, shift changes, direct deposit, Insurance, taxes etc.
- Entry of all new hires into the data base of the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund. This also includes entry of any disabilities, retirements and terminations.
- Preparing all information needed to run bi-monthly payroll for all Fire pensioners and monthly for all Police Pensioner’s including any disabilities, QLDROS, and widows.
- Responsibility in the overseeing, verifying, entering of information to the OSL Police Department’s payroll
- Entry of all new hires, promotions, terminations into the OSL data base
- Verifying all hours comply with the Police departments various contracts and general orders.
- Direct contact with Police Department personnel including secretaries, IT employees, Sergeants, Lieutenants, and contact with the representative of OSL.
- Scheduling of quarterly OSL updates
- Training of any new hires, supervisors, Sergeants when applicable.
- Working with Human Resources, the Police Chief, MIS, or others when special queries need to be created, or if reports need to be run through OSL
- When required, working with employees of the police department in regards to various leave of absences; including FMLA, workman’s comp, military leave etc., explaining to them the required codes that should be used.
- Oversee the annual shift changes, vacation picks, district and work post assignments, time off approvals, and creation of the vacation groups for the year while working with the Police Department.
- Year end processing.
- Assure accuracy with all accrual banks after the year end processing occurs.
- Strong knowledge of payroll subject matter across all areas of the payroll department
- Understanding of 11 different contracts used throughout the City when related to payroll
- Knowledge of Illinois and Federal Labor Laws
- Various tax laws.
- Illinois Municipal Retirement Pension and some knowledge of Police and Fire Pension laws.
- Total understanding of the Aurora Police Department’s contract when it comes to employees scheduling and time keeping rules.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office products and demonstrated skill using a calculator
- Creation of spread sheets for the use of analysis
- Scanning of all payroll documents
- Various bi-monthly, monthly reports
- Excellent written and verbal communication with internal and external customers
- Creation of various letters, memos regarding detailed payroll issues
- Direct contact with the MIS staff, while they work in the creation of various reports, and queries.
- A demonstrated ability to learn quickly, master tasks and train others
- Research and resolution of issues in a timely and efficient manner, responding promptly to questions
- Ability to maintain a good working relationship with all levels of personnel in the organization
- Familiarity with other HR functions impacting payroll (such as but not limited to benefits, workman’s compensation, FMLA, IMRF, etc.
- Detail oriented with strong time management and organization skills, ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of the Sungard Public Sector payroll module and OSL police system is highly encouraged but not required.
- Other Pertinent job responsibilities with the assistance of the Payroll Supervisor:
- Cross training of each employees job responsibilities
- Control/coordinate positions availability
- Annual contract increases including all grade/step tables
- Retro calculations when necessary
- Reviewing of new contracts for any pertinent changes with payroll
- Vacation report for following year
- Annual Longevity report
- Open enrollment changes
- Annual payments of unused PTO, Comp and Sick time.
- Annual Police and Fire Pension report to the Department of Insurance
- Annual Police and Fire Pension increases and insurance changes
- Performs other duties as may be reasonably required within the scope of the above.
Required Knowledge and Abilities
Requires high degree of confidentiality.
Requires working knowledge of policies, practices and procedures in municipal government.
Requires ability to work with diverse groups of individuals.
Requires ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with employees, City officials, the media, and the public.
Requires ability to work independently.
Requires ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written form.
Qualifications for Hire
Requires a high school diploma or G.E.D. and knowledge, skill and mental development equivalent to two years of college.