Description for Process Engineer:
Downstream Process Engineer will be a key member of the Manufacturing & Engineering team serving as a subject matter expert for process and technology development and optimization of the downstream process for production of our alternative fungus based protein on our unique fermentation technology. You will be responsible for troubleshooting and scale-up and participate in investment projects as the expert within your field.
Responsibilities for Process Engineer:
- Serve as downstream process engineering subject matter expert (SME) and provide day-to-day technical support for the continuous improvement of quality, cost, and increased production capacity. Utilize statistical tools and methodologies to evaluate existing processes and collect, monitor, and analyze production data to identify improvements. Propose and lead implementation of initiatives that optimize the manufacturing process
- Work cross-functionally with R&D, Product Development, Manufacturing, and Data Science teams to develop test plans / design of experiments and lead equipment trials to determine key process parameters for optimal operating conditions. Support process development, scale-up and technology transfer activities from lab benchtop, to pilot plant, to industrial scale
- Scout and develop technology for downstream processing of unique fermentation process to enable consistent production of high quality products based on our priority protein alternative.
- Partner with external consultants and vendors to develop engineering design packages for production and utility systems, including equipment specifications and process control descriptions. Participate in development of factory and site acceptance criteria, and the commissioning, validation, and startup of production lines.
Requirements for Process Engineer:
- Master’s Degree (preferred) in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering or related engineering discipline (i.e., Biological / Food Engineering)
- 7+ years of processing engineering experience in food, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or specialty chemical industries
- Strong competency in the biotech or food process development and optimization and extensive knowledge of equipment technologies and unit operations, including fluid and solid transport, heat and mass transfer, extraction, separation / filtration, drying, etc.
- Experience with hygienic design and sanitary construction, good manufacturing practices (GMP) and cleaning, sanitization, and sterilization processes
Desired Skills for Process Engineer:
- Experience with fermentation processes
- Experience performing process simulations and hydraulic modeling
- Knowledge of process instrumentation, monitoring and statistical process control