Project Director- Direct Hire
Job Requisition: 6897
Description for Project Director:
This candidate will take charge of total project accountability for the successful execution of build, own, & operate projects with a "safety first" culture throughout the entire scope of the project. This candidate will have to Develop project execution concepts & subcontracting strategy. Direct complex engineering projects requiring global resources and multiple partners.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Takes an active role in the development of contracts necessary for the project.
- Complete responsibility for project performance to meet schedule and budget.
- Direct management of project team and corporate functions (including engineering, procurement, legal, services, vendors, subcontractors, and owner’s engineer).
- Direct interface with client and / or project sponsors
- Communicate project status to senior management and stakeholders with regular project updates, identify issues that could impact project performance, and lead the corrective action effort to put solutions and resolutions into place.
Responsibilities for Project Director:
- Leadership role for developing and implementing project execution and quality plans
- Develop organizational structure, staffing requirements, and deployment of personnel
- Work with the business and sales support to develop proposal and project charter.
- Develop project schedule with critical milestones and track against actual progress and recommend changes required to keep project on target
- Set-up project goals and maintain project controls utilizing established internal reporting procedures in order to keep project on budget.
- Manage project staff, schedule and conduct status meetings and document action items
- Manage project scope changes and required change orders with vendors and subcontractors
- Directly interface with contractors including EPC and owner’s engineer
- Directly interface with local officials and other government agencies to obtain necessary permits
- Conducts risk assessment to identify potential major project pitfalls
- Assist business leadership with negotiating and closing contracts with key customers and partners for items such as site purchase or lease, feedstock supply, product offtake, and required utilities.
- Continuously develop, improve, and maintain engineering tools and project templates
- Lead efforts to improve the company’s global work processes, costs, and execution schedules
- Develop and retain internal talent through coaching, mentorship, and performance development plans
- Maintain a continuous improvement mindset, looking for productivity gains through project closeout meetings and document lessons learned for future projects.
- Leads on resolution of warranty claims and performance shortfalls
- Leads in documenting project reports including lessons learnt as necessary
- Travels internationally to support execution of customer projects and start-up services
Requirements for Project Director:
- Minimum 20 years of professional experience comprised of project execution and supporting plant operations in addition to capital project development and management
- Proven experience as a project manager or project director for large capital projects (>$200MM)
- Experience of leading projects through all stages from initial conception through to final commissioning, start-up and handover.
- Experience of managing globally dispersed project teams
- Experience managing the award and execution of large EPC and construction contracts
- Strong leadership, organizational, and multi-tasking skills
- Aggressive risk management approach; ability to anticipate problems before they impact project schedule and budget
- Ability to build and lead a diverse team and operate in a fast paced, global, entrepreneurial environment is key
- Ability to gather data, set priorities, and meet deadlines / project goals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player mentality
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and intelligent risks
- A valid passport is required
• 4 yr. Engineering degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or related Engineering (MBA is a plus)
**Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.