Safety, Security, Health, and Environment Manager (Direct Hire)
Job Requisition: 6515
Description for SSHE Manager:
Safety, Security, Health, and Environment Manager will contribute to the achievement of Company objectives by overseeing implementation of safety and environmental standards to ensure:
- Implements and maintains comprehensive management systems in support of the company SSHE policies.
- Provides input to the business units in identifying and tracking appropriate KPI's and assessing site performance.
- Implementation and adherence of policies and procedures in order to develop a high level of safety performance on the site and a low risk working environment;
- Minimize the risk to Company assets (e.g. plant, buildings, equipment, and stocks of process materials) through effective implementation of process safety procedures
- Ensures that the necessary environmental control equipment and operating procedures are in place and effective to prevent the discharge of any effluent (e.g. water, air, waste, etc.) that does not comply with local specifications.
- Drive continuous improvement mindset and activities to improve site’s SSHE impact to employees and community
Responsibilities for SSHE Manager:
- Ensures, through front line leadership, that the Company, employees and agents comply with regulations and company policies as it relates to safety, health, and environment.
- Ensures requirements for statutory notifications/reporting are met and maintains relevant data/information/records in accordance to federal, state and local requirements.
- Manages site incident reporting system including the incident reporting software
- Prepares statistics relevant to safety and the associated costs.
- Maintains all environmental permits at the sites. Ensures the timely submission of applications for renewal, modification, and/or change to the site's environmental permits. Works closely with the facilities to determine the need for outside environmental consultants.
- Coordinates health and industrial hygiene monitoring activities.
- Keeps the site manager aware of developments on safety, health and environmental matters including changes to OSHA, EPA, DHS and NSSC (North Shore Sanitary) requirements and ensure site complies with changes proposed legislation, codes of practice and standards.
- Advises the site on all aspects of fire protection; ensures proper selection and operation of fire warning and fire-fighting equipment and procedures; and maintains statutory records in this respect of external purposes (e.g. insurance carrier).
- Monitors new projects and modifications to existing processes ensuring compliance with SSHE requirements through proper process hazard reviews (e.g. PHRs/HAZOPs) or Modifications of Change (MOC).
- Keeps informed on the chemical, physical and biological properties of chemicals present on site; also, all plant processes and up-to-date principles of safety management, fire protection and loss control.
- Leads development of annual objectives for site SSHE improvement and training plans and facilitates completion with cooperation of site leadership team
- Promotes awareness of SSHE issues at all levels and ensure interest in site safety/ improvements through safety committee and/or teams.
- Ensure that regular safety inspections are carried out, reported, and corrective actions are integrated in site procedures.
- Acts as site contact with statutory, official and other organizations in the field of safety, health and environment
- Organizes and ensures safety and compliance training is conducted in an appropriate platform to promote increasing safety performance standards on site
- Ensures contractor safety management program is effectively executed to ensure safe work on site and in accordance with the Company's policies and governmental regulations.
- Oversee and manage the site’s Process Safety Management (PSM) Program in cooperation with the site leadership team.
- In cooperation with the HR department, ensure effective case management is achieved to address Occupational Health and Workmen’s Compensation issues.
- Liaise with the Company's insurers on matters including;
- employee liability claims
- fire prevention/detection
- other regulations/requirements
- Ensures that safety data on all materials used on site are available to all relevant employees
- Maintain relationship with Governmental agencies (i.e., EPA, OSHA, etc.); State and city agencies (i.e., IEPA, Village of Gurnee, North Shore Sanitary); Safety and Environmental Consultants, Insurers, Training resources.
Requirements for SSHE Manager:
- BS/BA in a related technical, scientific or engineering discipline required
- Appropriate certifications desired(CSP, ASP, GSP, COSS,CES)
- Minimum of 5 years of SSHE experience in manufacturing or chemical industry
- Air Emissions(Title V), SPCC, RCRA, Stormwater Experience
- Proven experience in leading change and implementing new ideas and concepts.
- Track record of driving results through fact-based analysis and business process implementation.
- Working knowledge of applicable safety, security, health and environmental regulations.
- Working knowledge of workers compensation laws and requirements
- Working knowledge of ergonomics, including reducing ergonomic issues
- Knowledge of incident investigations and root cause analysis.
- Experience with ISO, cGMP and Food Safety quality systems, preferably experience being an active team member
- Basic knowledge of typical industrial equipment including vessels, pumps, heat exchangers, valves, instrumentation, etc.
*Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening