Sr. Design Engineer (Direct Hire)
Sauk Village, IL
Job Requisition: 6311
Description for the Sr. Design Engineer:
The Sr. Design Engineer will manage projects related to the design/redesign of new products and associated tooling. They will coordinate with external resources in the creation, assembly, and testing of prototype/ production tooling. They will create the Bill of Materials (BOM) and handles the project management responsibility for each project (schedule, budget, labor). They will work cradle to grave with both customers and vendors.
Responsibilities for the Sr. Design Engineer:
- Plan, organize and execute projects, under Manager’s direction, related to the design and development of new products and tooling or modifications to existing tooling.
- The Senior Design Engineer ensures that the design conforms to the tooling specifications, is manufacturable at estimated costs, and is technically sound.
- The engineer will prepare conceptual and working layouts and oversee or prepare final layouts, assembly and detail drawings including bills of material.
- As well as coordinate the fabrication, assembly, testing and debugging of prototype tooling, production tooling, and equipment.
- The engineer ensures that projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- They will complete estimates based on time, cost, and manpower.
- The Senior Design Engineer needs to be aware of and understand design criteria covering a range of various materials that we extrude and thermoform, i.e., PS, PP, PS/EVOH/PE, PS/PE, PET, XT, etc.
- The engineer will also manage projects related to the design and development of new equipment automation, in addition to other projects which may be assigned by Manager.
Requirements for Sr. Design Engineer:
- B.S. in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, etc.) or equivalent.
- 7-10 yrs. of combined Engineering Project Management, Tool Design, Equipment Design, Product Design, and MFG Engineering experience
- Must have experience designing plastics packing within the food/beverage industry
- 2D & 3D CAD
- Strong creative/conceptual skills as a designer
- Tooling and Machine Design
- Plastics (Thermoforming, IML, Injection Molding)
- Managing tooling Suppliers
- Project Scheduling and Management
- Strong Written and Verbal Communication, working cross functionally
- Supervisory/Mentoring Skills
- Ability to use precision measuring devices
- Microsoft Office
Desired for Sr. Design Engineer:
- AutoCAD & Solidworks
- MS Projects
- GMP OR SQF (Safe Quality Food)
*Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening