Senior Firmware Engineer (Direct Hire)
Job Requisition: 7002.1
Description for Sr. Firmware Engineer:
This role is responsible for design, development, and implementation of firmware for embedded systems of new and existing products. All programs have the goal of commercialization and require the Senior Firmware Engineer to manage and assist contract manufacturers with firmware support up to and including the product launch. The Senior Firmware Engineer’s secondary responsibility is to assist in the completion of other engineering tasks. Assignments may consist of: Completion of discrete engineering tasks requiring advanced knowledge of firmware and related hardware interfaces, as requested by Lead Engineers. Prolonged engagements on project teams for projects requiring a sustained effort on critical firmware development objectives. Coordination of firmware and software vendors/partners. Coordination with client development partners.
Responsibilities for Sr.Firmware Engineer:
- Design and implementation of device firmware and device-side networking for a wide range of consumer, industrial, and medical products.
- Facilitate product capabilities through interfaces such as API’s for existing and newly designed web services.
- Collaborate with engineers, developers, and designers in other disciplines within the company and with external partners
- Own the Firmware design including the architecture, creation of requirements, specifications, and implementation from prototype to production.
- Interface with hardware design engineers with emphasis on microcontrollers, microprocessors, wireless radio modules (BLE, WiFi, Cellular), sensors and motion control
- IoT architecture for entire firmware / software stack from local device to the cloud.
- Integration of new or existing products with IoT platforms such as AWS, Azure and Google Cloud·
- Integration with home automation platforms such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit and others.
- Planning and implementation for connected device security and OTA Firmware/Software Updates
- Communicating expertise and company capabilities to prospective clients of technical and non-technical background
- Travel: Limited travel within the USA (approximately 10% of time) and limited travel out-of-country (approximately 5% of time
Requirements for Sr. Firmware Engineer:
- Bachelor of Science or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- 5+ years in Engineering product design and development
- 3+ years of embedded C programming
- Excellent C programming skills with experience in embedded system design and development
- Extensive experience in debugging embedded systems
- Assist hardware design engineering teams in identifying optimum design architectures
- Develop implementation standards for firmware group and standardize hardware platforms to maximize code reuse and minimize project risk
- Experience with embedded firmware development tools such oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, DC power analyzers, logic analyzers, and protocol analyzers
- Experience with designing and developing RF products for standard and proprietary networks
- Experience with a variety of ARM processors and microcontrollers and corresponding IDEs/compilers
- Experience with wireless communication peripherals such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, cellular communication, and Zigbee
- Familiarity with low power design practices for battery powered devices
- Familiarity with standard peripheral serial communication protocols
- Familiarity with security-related aspects associated with embedded systems
- Ability to read and understand hardware schematics
- Excellent documentation practices and communication skills
- Commitment to maintaining project schedules and delivering tasks on time
Requirements for Sr. Firmware Engineer:
- Experience with smart home network standards
- Knowledge of networking connectivity protocols such as TCP/IP, FTP, MQTT
- Embedded Linux and Yocto experience
- Experience with User Interface frameworks such as Qt
- Experience with agency certifications such FCC, Industry Canada, and cellular carrier certifications
- Firmware lead and/or project management experience
- Experience working in a design services environment or as a contractor