Software Engineering Manager (Direct Hire)
Job Requisition: 6877
Description for Software Engineering Manager:The Software Engineering Manager will lead a team of software engineers in the development of medical devices using best practices in compliance with company operating procedures. Provide feedback, coaching, and performance assessments to direct reports. Assign engineers to tasks across multiple projects and guide execution. Coordinate with project managers in creating schedules for software releases and associated documentation. Assess team’s performance and refine work instructions to better meet project goals in more efficient ways. Plan and execute software-centric projects for in-house applications and sustaining activities.
Responsibilities for Software Engineering Manager:
- Assigns team members in the design, implementation, debugging, and verification of applications according to corporate policies and business operating procedures on new and sustaining engineering projects.
- Works with other software team members and engineering managers to coordinate team’s activities and resolve engineering and project issues.
- Reviews output of direct reports including designs, code, test approaches, test results, and other deliverables, providing guidance and feedback.
- Mentors team to propagate good design principles and development practice.
- Investigates new software technologies and tools which may increase team’s performance.
- Creates and maintains software work instructions which comply with regulatory guidelines and corporate polices.
- Collaborates with groups outside of direct responsibilities including other engineering groups, Quality, Regulatory, Marketing, etc. for project planning, analysis of product requirements, and to outline proposed solutions.
- Sets objectives for direct reports, assessing performance throughout the year, and providing an annual performance review.
- Recruits for open positions on team. Contracts with outside software consultants as needed.
- Knowledge of Internet of Things (IoT) and associated solutions is desired, e.g., remote monitoring solutions is desired.
- Experience performing software requirement analysis and definition. Proven skills in working with stakeholders to refine product requirements to be realized in software is desired.
- Experience in the implementation of infrastructure and applications for Manufacturing, Installation, and Serviceability is desired.
- Travel up to 10% (including international)
Requirements for Software Engineering Manager:
- Bachelor’s in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Software Engineering. Advanced degree desirable.
- Five or more years of experience in the design and development of software and firmware systems
- Experience working in medical device industry or other regulated industry is highly desirable which require formalized software development processes and software risk management.
- Demonstrated leader and/or technical expert within a software development organization.
- Exceptional team player with leadership responsibilities.
- Practical experience in C/C++ object-oriented analysis and programming, and multi-threaded/multi-tasking programming is required
- Capable of solving complex engineering problems through accurate interpretation of requirements and test results.
- Experience in development using multiple operating systems, which may include real-time operating systems (RTOS) such as RTXC, ThreadX, and QNX as well as traditional operating systems such as Linux, Windows (standard or embedded is required).
- Experience using software integrated development environments (IDEs) and tools including compiling/building, debugging, configuration management (version control), defect management, continuous integration, and code analysis tools.
- Software quality assurance to include unit and integration test development and execution, and code inspection and reviews.
- Understanding of development for a resource-constrained target environment with specific performance requirements is desired.
- Strong communication and problem solving skills.
- Project Management skill set
- Ability to travel 10%, including international
Desired for Software Engineering Manager:
- Experience with C# .NET is desired.
- Experience in the development of PLC-based solutions as well as embedded is desired