Sr. Product Engineer (Direct Hire)
Job Requisition: 6823
Description for Sr. Product Engineer:
This key leadership position is responsible for helping develop and execute a comprehensive product innovation plan for both existing products as well as high potential adjacent categories. This leader will partner with the Product Manager and the Supply Chain team to build the product management organization, implement the stage gate process, and lead the development and implementation of a long-range product plan.
The Senior Product Engineer will plan and manage product design engineering activities related to conceptualization, product design, and manufacturing process functions. Success is accomplished by understanding, accurately specifying, and adhering to customer requirements, utilizing, and applying quality tools and methods and pursuing continuous improvement in all aspects of product and process design. Additionally, this leader is responsible for reducing labor and material costs, while improving value, reliability, and performance of the product portfolio.
Responsibilities for Sr. Product Engineer:
Concept Development (30%)
- Involved in identifying consumer and market needs, translating customer needs into product requirements using process (QFD) and product requirements into design specifications.
- Develops working prototypes of multiple concepts, which can be used for functional evaluation.
- Involved with consumer focus groups to gather market data.
- Involved in reducing concept to commercially viable product.
- Creates mechanical drawings and 3-D models using drafting software.
- Investigates concept patentability and infringement issues related to concepts to assess legal liability protect intellectual property.
Design Development (50%)
- Coordinates and prioritizes design and product engineering activities as established by NPD and product management and in accordance with Client's business strategies and goals.
- Designs products and components with safety, durability, reliability, value, and assembly as priorities.
- Develops and plans short- and long-term goals in accordance with Client's strategies and goals.
- Establish design specifications, material selection, and potential suppliers with regards to product design.
- Estimates project and product costs, assists with project justification, and recommends required materials and tooling.
- Facilitates design reviews to discuss concepts and proposed product designs, engaging other functional areas of the business, to gain input regarding product manufacturability and incorporating those inputs into final design.
- Prepares and issues required reports, summaries, and presentations related to engineering activities.
- Maintains and controls engineering files, records, and documentation for part and process specifications, drawings, and patents.
- Interface with purchasing and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues.
- Collaborate with New Product Development and Marketing teams to introduce and develop new product concepts and existing product enhancements.
- Support efforts to maintain and follow the New Product Development (stage gate) process.
- Reviews related patents and assesses potential patent risks
- Engaged in continuous improvement initiatives, recognizing process improvement methods to identify root cause, develop solutions, and implement solutions.
- Maintain and organize lab area following 5S principles.
Requirements for Sr. Product Engineer:
- BS in Engineering with a minimum of 4 years of applicable work experience with a focus on New Product Development and understanding of manufacturing operations
- In-depth understanding of concept design and validation
- Experience partnering with the manufacturing and supply chain teams to bring new product from concept to production to launch
- Strong experience in project management and navigating a NPD stage gate process
- Must manage multiple medium scope projects, preferably leveraging 3rd party resources
- Must communicate well and properly document results of test procedures.
- Conceptual and detail design skills
- Familiar with translation tools and processes (Quality Function Deployment QFD)
- Experience with 3-dimensional drawing (Solid Works, AutoCAD)
- Experience and knowledge of typical drafting standards
- Experience with metal and wood machine tools
- Data collection and management of database.
- Technical writing skills for memos, lab reports, and project updates.
- Strong general math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide, percentages, fractions, metric conversions, algebra, and geometry)
Education: BS in Engineering with a minimum