Telecommunication Engineer (Contract to Hire)
Job Requisition: 6625
Description for Telecommunication Engineer:
Our client is seeking qualified candidates interested in a challenging and rewarding career in communications. Job responsibilities include evaluating, installing, supporting, and maintaining the Client’s communication systems including, but not limited to, day to day technical support of a 911 Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) and dispatch center. These include both Public Safety systems and non-Public Safety systems (911 telephone system, 700/800 MHZ radio systems, UHF/VHF secondary radio systems, Cisco VOIP telephone/voicemail system, various personal communications devices, and a wide variety of other communications equipment).
Responsibilities for Telecommunication Engineer:
- On call 24 hours a day to ensure 24/7/365 availability.
- Provide Level I or Level II response to the following Telephone Systems; PBX (Cisco) VOIP, Voicemail, NG9-1-1 (Intrado), and 2 Way Mobile and Portable Radio Systems; 800 MHz, and VHF/UHF.
- Coordinates all maintenance and repairs involving radio equipment, telephones and computers. Determines if repair is required in or out-of department; if within department, performs repairs, or routes to proper service organization. Maintains log of same and recommends new equipment as necessary.
- Assists with on-going and quarterly inventory on all radio and telephone equipment; coordinates installation of new equipment in house as well as mobile (squads).
- Maintains and coordinates purchase, repair and replacement of headset and telephone equipment. Performs maintenance on PBX telephone switch, including addition of circuit packs/cards, programming of terminal ports, adding telephones, changing classes of service and features upon request; installs, repairs and maintains all telephones. Installs and maintains telephone cables and equipment cabinets.
- Provides Level I or Level II support for existing radio system and end user devices.
- Maintains a variety of logs pertaining to communications and generates monthly reports for same.
- Assists with coordinating address information with proper Police, Fire and EMS jurisdictions with telephone (NG9-1-1) database; insure they are provided with all pertinent maps and city geo-data at regular intervals.
- May be required to work varied shifts/hours.
Requirements for Telecommunication Engineer:
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Skills in project management, organization, interpersonal communication (verbal and written), and intermediate desktop computer skills.
- Analytical and abstract thinking is required.
- A functional understanding of LAN and WAN concepts, networking protocols, and general voice/data network switching/routing design.
- Experience administering VOIP telephone and/or radio systems.
- Experience supporting network infrastructure, UHF, VHF, 700/800 MHZ mobile and portable radios, and related infrastructure equipment or acquire the ability to support them.
- Supporting and implementing various communication methods, including various telephony connection links, microwave, 4.9 GHz Wi-Fi, and fiber optics, is a plus.
- The position requires four years of related course work from an accredited college/university/technical school or an equivalent combination of related course work and/or training and years of relevant work experience.
*Applicants must successfully complete a background investigation in addition to drug/polygraph tests and must have a valid driver’s license.