Manufacturing Engineer (Direct Hire)
Job Requisition: 6391
Description for Manufacturing Engineer:
Manufacturing Engineer will lead continuous improvement projects, introduce processes for new production lines, and execute capital projects. This position will support and interact with metal fabrication, welding, painting and assembly operations as well as multiple departments across the organization for a North American Leader in the Fabrication/Manufacturing industry with operations across US and Canada.
Responsibilities for Manufacturing Engineer:
- Develop Standard work procedures, standardized work, and train Operators in standards.
- Identify manufacturing cost reductions through data analysis (i.e. Time studies, capability studies, Pareto analysis etc.)
- Coordinate activities around CI initiatives, lead multi-disciplined teams in Kaizen workshops and value stream mapping exercises, and track results to targets.
- Develop and execute LEAN manufacturing techniques and concepts in current and new processes.
- Optimize for material flow and presentation to operators, workflow and balance, and ergonomic standards.
- Train shop floor employees on lean concepts, such as 5s, Kaizen and Standardized work.
- Develop and maintain APQP documents (i.e. PFMEA, standard work procedures, process flow etc.)
- Plans and designs manufacturing processes in the plant.
- Maximizes efficiency by analyzing layout of equipment, workflow, assembly methods, and work force utilization.
- Determines parts and tools needed in order to achieve manufacturing goals according to product specification.
- Performs engineering design evaluations and works to complete projects within budget and scheduling restraints.
- Reviews reports of production, malfunction, and maintenance to determine or address problems.
- Provides technical support for the engineering process.
- Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the fabrication field.
- Tracks and reports on engineering targets (BOM cost, quality, customer and/or internal plant delivery timing, performance, project and department engineering budget, etc.) for all assigned projects.
- Ensures engineering timing plans, defect / issues list, risk assessments, lessons learned are created and maintained and provides engineering status for project reviews (e.g. APQP milestones, etc.) according to program timing for all assigned projects.
- Ensures compliance to Company procedures (e.g. Process - Work Instructions) and applicable standards (e.g.).
- Maintaining a thorough knowledge of product design techniques and all CAD software systems, maintaining drawings and nesting databases.
- Understanding of the concepts of synchronous manufacturing and lean production manufacturing methodologies and the ability to formulate and implement a tactical plan.
- Participates in Continuous Improvement and assists in its implementation on an ongoing basis implementing lean manufacturing principles to improve plant productivity.
- Monitor machine/employee ergonomic improvements & safety requirements.
- Follows safe work procedures; Uses appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); Uses workplace tools and equipment as instructed; Reports workplace hazards, injuries and illness as soon as possible following event.
- Comply with duties and responsibilities as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act and ensures corrective action is taken when violations occur.
Requirements for Manufacturing Engineer:
- BS degree or higher within an engineering field, preferably within Mechanical Engineering
- At least 3-5 or more years of professional manufacturing engineering experience.
- Strong knowledge in Lean Manufacturing techniques and demonstrated manufacturing process improvement experience.
- In depth knowledge of process improvement tools, product design techniques, mechanical drawing standards and GD&T
- Prior experience working in a metal fabrication environment with metal cutting, forming, brake press, lathes, welding (manual and robotic), and machining is strongly preferred
- Experience with AQPQ and PPAP process is highly preferred
- Strong project management skill set
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral with the ability to confidently present to customers, vendors, and senior management
- Advance Excel and statistical skills
- Previous experience working within an ISO quality system, ISO/IATF 16949 experience is highly preferred
- Self motivated
- High energy individual capable of spending a majority of hers/his time on the shop floor
- Ability to travel if required
*Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.